How much alimony I have to pay in mutual divorce ?

Situation : Hi, I am from Punjab, belongs to sikh family. I got married in Nov 2017 with a sikh girl. From the very beginning things were not going fine, we use to have regular verbal fight. She use to lie on small small things, never accept her faults. Our thinking was totally opposite, it was an arrange marriage. In our six months stay she threatened so many time to leave me and will left this house and that also just within a month. We insult each other regularly,and never care about each other life. Now after staying for 6 months , she finally left my house and start living at her parents place. We both want mutual divorce now. And my question is about the alimony money which I have to pay. I earn 25k in a month doing job in pvt company. My Father have some land property and my saving is about 3-4 lakhs. So help me on what basis and approx how much money I have to give. I will also ask her to take her things which she brought during wedding like furnitures, electronics, household items .
Related Topics : Divorce Law
Lawyers answer this question

Advocate Justice Kishan Dutt Kalaskar

For More Details Contact On +91 7769012300.

Dear Sir,

The quantum of alimony normally will be calculated on your net salary as per following formula. See that your net home drawing salary is very less.  




Dear Madam,


My answers as follows.


1)what is the max alimony I can claim from him?


Ans: The quantum of maintence must be based of SC judgment which says 25% of salary must be maintenance. Thus it must be calculated as follows

Salary Rs.2 lakhs per month

25% comes to Rs.50,000 multiplied by 12 Months = Rs.6 lakhs  per year.


If you live for another 20 years it comes to Rs.6 lakhs multiplied by 20 = Rs. 1crore 20 lakhs.

You get total compensation of Rs.1 Crore Rs.20 lakhs.


2)can I ask for a property?


Ans: You have no right over property but its notional income may be added to the salary .

131 user found this answer helpful

Disclaimer : This answer is based on information given by you hence, It is just opinion of Lawyer. For specific answer you have to give details and facts and choose the Lawyer of your choice.

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Sign In to your account or wait for admin approval.

Most Viewed Lawyers