What is the possible reaction from a person who took money by cheque and paid by cheque but the cheque is bounced

Situation : I send him legal notice regarding cheque bounce
Related Topics : Administrative Law
Lawyers answer this question

Advocate Priyanka Chopade

Nagpur, Nagpur
For More Details Contact On +91 7769012300.

If cheque is dishounre due to insufficient funds in account  then, According to "The Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881" is applicable for such cases.

According to section 138 of above Act, The dishounre of cheque is criminal offence and is punisitiable by imprisonment up to 2 years or with fine or Both.

We have to send the notice to drawer within 30Days from the date of recovering cheque returns memo from respective Bank. In such notice, It should be clearly mention that the amount has to be paid to payee within 15 days from receipt of Notice.  

Still drawer, Fails to make payment with in time limit. Then within 30 days we can file criminal complent against Drawer.  

As you said, That Notice is Send, So share the copy with us for more clarification and keep in touch...

700 user found this answer helpful

Advocate Roshan Prajapati

For More Details Contact On +91 7769012300.

Dear Client,

Cheque bouncing is or cheque dishonored is criminal offence under Section 138 and punishable with 2 year imprisonment or fine or Both.

As you already send Notice, Then in next 30 Days we can file criminal complaint.

be in touch and contact me with LAwyerNU.

675 user found this answer helpful

Disclaimer : This answer is based on information given by you hence, It is just opinion of Lawyer. For specific answer you have to give details and facts and choose the Lawyer of your choice.

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Sign In to your account or wait for admin approval.

Most Viewed Lawyers